u4/3 for backpacking?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
pula58 Junior Member • Posts: 34
u4/3 for backpacking?

I have a Canon G5X II, 1" sensor, zoom range (full frame equiv) of 24-120mm.

I find the zoom range to be perfect for my mountain uses. The 120mm (equiv) helps with wildlife photos. But I'd like to go to a larger sensor for (hopefully, and please do correct me if I'm wrong) image quality, and am wondering about M4/3. I have been looking at Lumix G9, and Olympus EM-5 III. There are at least two u4/3 lenses that have the kind of zoom range I am looking for ( Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmarit 12-60mm f/2.8-4 and Panasonic Lumix G Vario 12-60mm f/3.5-5.6). Am I overlooking another lens?

Both Panasonic and the Olympus both have viewfinders (a must-have for me).

Mostly shooting stills, but some video here and there. Not sure how important 4K video is to me. I shoot in HD in my Canon and the results are acceptable. I don't know enough about 4K video to really know if I want/need it or not.

What are your opinions on these cameras intended for backpacking trips? The lure of both of them is that the sensor is a little larger (compared to my Canons 1" sensor ), and both have in-camera image stabilization, and weather proofing. The Olympus has PD auto focus, and that's a plus. And it's a fair bit lighter than the Panasonic.

Opinions?

And is there some other camera I am overlooking?

Canon PowerShot G5 X Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow