Green Herons, Stilts, Ducks, & a Bothered Hawk (9/21/20)

Started 1 month ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 33,117
Green Herons, Stilts, Ducks, & a Bothered Hawk (9/21/20)

I've got to keep them coming here!  With the regular wetlands now finally reopened, and with fall and winter seasons coming on, this is traditionally when I start to fall way behind on keeping up to date with the wildlife threads.  This thread picks up right where the last one left off, on a fairly busy August 22nd at Peaceful Waters...still at the time before my regular wetlands reopened.  Fortunately, things were picking up even at Peaceful Waters, so there were still some nice birds to be found there.

All shots taken with the A6600 and FE200-600mm G OSS combo, and all are posted at 1800 pixels on the long side if you click through the originals:

One thing not in shortage at Peaceful Waters are the green herons.  There are dozens there - this one seemed to just be enjoying the extreme heat and sun

But he wasn't going to stay distracted too long - got to keep an eye on the duckweed below for signs of movement as a nice fish meal is always good

In the last thread I posted a black-bellied whistling duck with a lone surviving duckling sitting under mom's belly.  Here's another whistler parent the same day with its duckling - this one a bit more like a teenager in size

I was rather surprised to find the black-necked stilts at this wetland in July and into August - this is usually a spring bird in my local wetlands, but they've been at Peaceful Waters in decent numbers, not nesting, but just feeding and walking around

A lovely white ibis with its very red bill and legs standing on the bank, with a stilt as a background

Another stilt out in the shallow waters and rippled reflections

Also enjoying the wind-rippled shallows was this snowy egret

Another green heron, scoring a small fish from under all that duckweed

He did a pretty good job at swallowing the fish, and leaving most of the duckweed on the end of his bill to be washed off

Another, younger green heron, who hadn't yet developed the rich greens and reds of the adult coat

A gang of wood ducks up on the levee shore - one not being very sociable!

In the far distance, I saw a lone bird on a tree stump and a smaller bird dive-bombing it - I figured it was probably a hawk being harassed - and indeed it was, by a mockingbird.  Note the hawk was fully aware of the mockingbird's approach - it's playing with fire there!

As close as I could get, a few hundred feet away, as the tree was standing in the middle of a large body of water - this is 600mm plus a big crop, to identify the red-shouldered hawk

A black-necked stilt doing the classic one-leg napping stance

Two stilts - one close and out of focus while I focused on the farther bird - the reflections in the water were picking up some orange/red colors from some construction barriers up on the far levee - something that was best kept out of frame but presented some nice painted colors in the water

I've only got one more set from Peaceful Waters after this one, and a few from around the yard and pool - then I'm finally able to start posting the 'local' wetlands again.

Comments, questions, and critique welcomed as ever.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony a6600 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +24 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow