Experience with editing R6 video files anyone?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
G Dickson
G Dickson Senior Member • Posts: 1,206
Experience with editing R6 video files anyone?

Hi all,

I am probably going to get an R6 fairly soon to replace my 6Dii and 1Div bodies (keeping the 6dii as a second body.  I am sure the 20mp will do me just fine (I also shoot a lot with a Panasonic G9 which is 20mp).  However one nagging thought is the video files.

I am getting more and more into video and I am pretty happy with my G9 in everything but lowlight and autofocus.  However shooting in  H.264 4K 10 bit 4.2.2. means that I have to basically use proxies or transcode before editing on my Dell XPS 15 (i7, 9750, 2.6Ghz with 16GB of ram).  8 Bit works out fairly well.

I usually just transcode through media encoder into Prores LT and edit with premiere pro.  The process is pretty fast and not too painful.  Most of my shooting style is short clips so I am not dealing with huge files.

Buying an R6 would bring so many advantages to both my stills and video.  Especially as my EF glass is way better than my micro four thirds glass.

Workflow is important to me but I have no desire to run an external recorder (especially with a micro HDMI connection) as I want my setup to be as compact and portable as possible - in and out of a bag.

I would be really grateful for anyone's thoughts on editing or transcoding R6 IPB H.265 files - a nightmare or not?   I am pretty sure I saw a video where someone was saying that the canon files don't even get GPU support so even transcoding is ridiculously slow..?

G Dickson's gear list:G Dickson's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon 6D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +9 more
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Ricoh Caplio R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow