Need help choosing between Sony A6600 and A7III

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Super_T Regular Member • Posts: 371
Re: Need help choosing between Sony A6600 and A7III

SNBLR wrote:

Thanks everyone for your inputs. I certainly have been all over the place, given I am looking for a balance between weight/practicality vs sharpness vs budget. Apologies.

The Sigma 16 f/1.4 was in the list primarily coz it was touted as the sharpest lens around. But then typically for landscapes do I really need such a wide aperture? Perhaps not. But focal lengths greater than 18mm (max) on an APS-C sensor, would not be a good option for landscapes.

Would the A6400/A6600, with the Sony 18-135 f3.5-5.6 be a reasonable midpoint, without needing to compromise on a lot.

Sony A6600 with Sony 18-135 f3.5-5.6
Weight: 828gm (503gm + 325gm)
Price: ₹138500

Since this lens has OSS, can opt for the A6400 body and save some more money and weight. That combo would weigh only 730 gm and cost around ₹100000.

Weight / Size becomes an important factor for me, as I intend to attach this to my backpack strap with a Peak Design Capture clip. Manual focus options are currently not being considered, given the extremely cold weather typically on treks (I would not want to get my gloves out often).

The Sony 10-18 lens is a good wide angle option, but very pricey (in India). Also the used camera market here is not very mature specially for anything outside the traditional Canon/Nikon options. So exploring used gear is always a little tricky. In fact, when I wanted to sell my gear, could sell off the Nikon Body/Lenses in a jiffy, but am still unable to sell my very capable Sigma lens.

BTW, I did not mention earlier, but am looking primarily for still photography and not videos (at least not in the near future).

I think you're on to something. The 18-135 does a quite decent allround job, and after using that one for a while it'll be easier to identify what's lacking and what options you have.
BTW: The 10-18 seem very nice on paper, but it has quite a bit of copy variation. Some love theirs - I sold mine, it had a red/green color problem that was hard to correct in post. And it was quite helpless in low light even with OSS, so I ended up using the Samyang 12mm and the 18-135 instead.

Super_T's gear list:Super_T's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Samyang 21mm F1.4 Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Samyang 85mm F1.8 ED UMC CS +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow