Metering and Auto ISO - Nikon

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jackbran123 Junior Member • Posts: 28
Metering and Auto ISO - Nikon

Hopefully this is the right forum! Bit of a wildlife and BIF newbie and I am looking for some advice. I am shooting with a D500 and 200-500 lens.

My settings are usually Manual (auto-iso) and Matrix Metering and try to keep shutter speeds high and if light permits around f/8 .

An example of the problem I am having is; I was photographing a Marsh Harrier yesterday and 50% of the time it was against a white/blue sky, so I needed to add exposure compensation so that the bird didn't come out completely black (I assume this is because the cameras metering against the sky most of all rather than the bird). The other 50% of the time it was hovering low, so there were yellow/green bushes and trees as background and as everything happens so quick, without removing the exposure comp from before, the photo blows out.

Is there another form of metering I could use to help with not needing to dial down exposure comp when a bird is moving between backgrounds or any other factors? I was thinking of perhaps trying Spot of Center Weighted but was keen for any other thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Jackbran123's gear list:Jackbran123's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon Z 16-50mm F3.5-6.3 VR
Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow