I was ready to buy the Canon R6. Then the Lumix S5 happened

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
William777 Forum Member • Posts: 59
I was ready to buy the Canon R6. Then the Lumix S5 happened

I'm an enthusiast purchasing my first full frame digital camera. My only full frame camera was a film camera in the early 2000's which I bought for a black and white college class in my Design degree.

I spent months researching about the Canon R6 and Canon Z6, and came to the conclusion that because of Nikon's less than stellar Auto focus, I would go with the Canon R6.

The Nikon Z5 and the latest Sony compact FF camera showed up, but neither of these were comparable to the Canon r6.

The R5 if over my budget and I don't care about video at all.

Been out of nowhere I see news of this new Panasonic Lumiz S5.

It cost $500 less than the R6, but in fact, price was not the only factor that persuaded me in favor of the S5. Canon has many cheap EF lenses that I could have bought in order to make budget.

I was persuaded by YouTube tests on the S5 autofocus. It nailed the eye excellently. My research on forums shows that people think previous AF in Panasonic FF cameras sucked.

The consensus is that this is not the case with the S5.

I was also persuaded by the 2x teleconverter for the Lumix 70-200 mm. I would rather use a tiny 2x teleconverter than a Tamron 100 - 400mm (with an EF adapter attached to the camera) for Canon, which does not have a teleconverter at all for its 70-200mm.

Then I don't believe the R6 have 4K photo or live composite features. The S5 does.

The extra 4 megapixels in the S5 were not a deal breaker, but still a factor to consider.

Canon EOS R5 Nikon Z6 Ricoh Caplio R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow