Are the pins in the D800/e CF card slot all the same length?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
cosmicnode Veteran Member • Posts: 5,399
Re: Are the pins in the D800/e CF card slot all the same length?

akbc wrote:

romfordbluenose wrote:

Do you have a problem or are you just pin length ocd.

I am not sure if it is a problem with the CF slot or the CF card. The card was working until yesterday but today when I turned on the camera and showing CF card error. I only have one CF card so I don't have another one to try. I tried to format it in the camera and it said format complete but it still said error. I was just looking at the pins, none of them were bent or missing and also the pin holes on the CF card looks good but I noticed the different lengths of the pins in the slot. Finally, I found a photo online which matches the pin in the CF slot so I suspect the card maybe the problem. I don't have or use a CF reader, I just use the HDMI cable to transfer the files or copy the files to the SD card and take the SD card out. I guess need to order a n ew card and try it again.

Anyway, if anyone is curious, the attached photo is a CF connector and you can see the pins that I talked about that are different lengths on the connector. I suspect they are longer because they are like guide or index pins to line up the card when it is being inserted.

I would imagine that what you show is the CF standard. and the pin's inside any camera with CF will be the same length's, perhaps the longer pins are earth's ?. Can you format using a computer then re format in the camera.

-- hide signature --

Mike.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."

cosmicnode's gear list:cosmicnode's gear list
Nikon D1 Nikon D1X Nikon D1H Nikon D2H Nikon D2X +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow