X-T30 AF-C Expecting too much?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jjs44 New Member • Posts: 9
X-T30 AF-C Expecting too much?

I switched from a Panasonic GX85 to a Fuji XT30 with 18mm F2, 27mm F2.8, and 18-55 F2.8-4 about a year ago. Overall I love the camera, I have found the image quality and handling superior. The lighting in my apartment is not great and the high ISO photos of my kids are much better than with the GX85.

My question is about AF-C. The 18mm lives on the camera inside and either the 27mm or 18-55 outside. I never expected the 18mm to track the kids very well and I get good shots when they aren’t moving too much. I have more of a problem with the 27mm and the 18-55 outside, I feel like my hit rate should be much higher. I’m deleting about 40% of outdoor shots.

I am usually shooting at F5.6 or F8. With shutter speeds never less 1/500 and usually between 1/1000 - 1/4000 in good light in the park, playground, or backyard. I have Release/Focus priority set to Focus. I have AF-C custom settings set to #5. Pre AF is on. AF mode is Zone with a 3x3 box. I have tried a lot of different combinations. I can see green focus boxes or green eye or face boxes and get out of focus shots.

I’ve seen YouTube videos comparing the XT30 to the Sony A6400 and I am not getting anywhere near the keeper rate they are. Am I expecting too much from my camera lens combinations or is it a settings problem. I don’t think it is movement on my part, the other day I was sitting in a chair using the EVF and holding the camera with two hands. I’ve gotten kind of frustrated reading on this forum and other websites and then trying different settings and still missing shots. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jjs44's gear list:jjs44's gear list
Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow