Vignetting with filters on 24-70mm f/2.8 and 14-30mm f/4?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
cosmicnode Veteran Member • Posts: 5,450
Re: Vignetting with filters on 24-70mm f/2.8 and 14-30mm f/4?

Tony_J wrote:

Thanks! It looks like I don't need to be too worried about the 14-30 then. I don't intend to use a CPL on it on a sunny day due to the weird things it does to the sky on a wide-angle lens. So at most I'll be stacking a CPL with a 6-stop ND to shoot waterfalls, which generally will not require as wide as 14mm.

Now just waiting on someone to shed light on the 24-70 f/2.8...

Why not try a NISI filter holder with landscape polarizer, I have recently bought one but had little time to test it fully I am still waiting for graduated slide in filters to arrive, there is no vignetting from the frame with the 14-30 using the polarizer so there will not be a problem when the slide in filters arrive. I know about the sometime affects on a blue sky with polarizers but that is not their only use , removing reflections of water and glass is also useful. but you also have the 24-70 which will benefit from a polarizer. It takes 3 slide in filters but I removed one of the 3 slide fittings when I could see vignetting  at 14mm but ok with 2 slots, I bought the version 5 but the version 6 has a lock for the polarizer rotation. at a extra cost.

I had the 75mm version but have had to sell it since it does not go up to the 82mm of the 14-30

NISI

Ricci Talks discusses filters for the 14-30 f4 at around 18mins in his review of the 14-30mm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE0mSDIw0xs&t=44s

-- hide signature --

Mike.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."

cosmicnode's gear list:cosmicnode's gear list
Nikon D1 Nikon D1X Nikon D1H Nikon D2H Nikon D2X +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow