Error Msg "INCOMPATIBLE BATTERY USE CORRECT MODEL"

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
RT A9 New Member • Posts: 3
Error Msg "INCOMPATIBLE BATTERY USE CORRECT MODEL"

So recently I took a trip to Utah and went into the Narrows.  I had on my Peak Design Everyday bag with my Sony A9.  Well I thought the PD bag was water resistant so when I fell in the water, for about 3 seconds, I didn't think anything of it (yes I know water resistant is not the same as waterproof but it was a quick fall and the bag wasn't even fully submerged).  When I got back to my campsite, I took out my camera and didn't feel any moisture so I continued to turn it on.  When I turned it on, I got a message saying "INCOMPATIBLE BATTERY USE CORRECT MODEL" I was confused because both of my batteries were legit Sony batteries.  So I turned it off and took my battery out.  I noticed some moisture in the battery insert bay.  The battery was a little bit wet.  Then I noticed a few other areas with some moisture, such as the hot shoe, flip screen area...   So I dried everything as much as I can, placed the battery back in and still got the same message.  So I just turned off everything, took the battery out and opened up everything door/flap/plug ports and let it sit inside my car (the area I was at had a lot of dust).  The next morning, I checked my camera, everything seemed to be fine.  So I put a different battery in just to test it out and the same error message came up.

I've checked to see if the battery connectors were damaged and they were not.  It doesn't seem like there's any salt or residue in the battery insert.  So I plugged in the wall charger and plugged the USB cable into the charging port of the camera with the battery.  Turned it on and still getting the same error message.   My batteries were fully charged or at least at 90%.

So I let the camera sit and continued my trip in Utah without taking any pictures.  Got home and finally got some ear swabs with some alcohol and clean anything out.  Let it sit overnight.  Turned it on again the next day and still got the same error message.  After this point, it would have been 4 days since the incident started.  I have charged up all of the batteries and they both still gave the same error message.

I've thought about placing the whole camera in a rice bag and let it sit but I didn't like the idea of little rice and whatever powder or dirt from the rice getting into the openings.

When I turned it on, the screen works for a brief moment before the error message popped up.  The OVF is working too.  I don't know what else to do.  Can anyone help? ideas?

Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow