DPR people are censuring more and more of my challenges

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
By standing on the Shoulders of Giants Contributing Member • Posts: 555
DPR people are censuring more and more of my challenges

On Sunday i opened a challenge called My People. The brief was to photograph an adult (someone knowing modelling for you) of the same race as yourself.

It was an open interpretation challenge, whereby an entrant could conform or challenge a stereotype of their people. For example, I hoped to see the friendly Irish, brave Scots, hardworking and polite Japanese, smiling Thais from the land of smiles. I was also hoping to see beyond the stereotypes. I wanted to see what minorities (like those tribal people in Asia or Africa) are like, presented through the lense of their own people.

The first entry was by a very good photographer RBFresno who entered a BW portrait of a late friend, Bill Adams, whom he met from DPR 13 years ago. Bill passed away 6 years ago, was a great person and was considered his "My People" for all his great traits and they just happened to share the same race.

Another shot was by Mitchmeister who entered a shot of a couple (probably him and his wife) with him wearing a tophat tux costume pushing a wheelbarrow. The title was something like "a little witty" and I thought it was a great shot to represent his people.

Next thing I know, I got a few comments saying they are not comfortable that my challenge focussed on race. The next morning I woke up and the challenge has again been pulled. This is probably the 3rd pulled challenge in a month and I'm really tired of DPR's wanton actions. It's disgracefully censuring people from expressing themselves with photographs just because some individuals chose to look at the dark side of a challenge theme and get offended.

There is no explanation from DPR people and I'm writing this post to tell the DPR community what's been going on and perhaps stop this wanton actions.

By standing on the Shoulders of Giants's gear list:By standing on the Shoulders of Giants's gear list
FinePix S1 Canon EOS 40D Sony Alpha NEX-5
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow