Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
James Stirling
James Stirling Senior Member • Posts: 8,092
Re: Upsizing with Lightroom, Photoshop & darktable

MHshooter wrote:

James Stirling wrote:

MHshooter wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

There was some interest and discussion of upsizing/uprezzing a raw photo on your computer as an alternative. Here is an example I did using 3 different programs. I uprezzed a raw file using Lightroom, Photoshop Preserve Details 2.0, and darktable:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64367958

Those are actually impressive, but I'd like to see it done with a resolution chart of some kind as well.

With apologies to Henry for not getting back to my own thread . Here is the Gigapixel attempt at part of a resolution test shot from imaging resource Z7 raw. 1/8th crop , output to 18x12" at 300ppi, full image below and downsized original image to show where the crop comes from

His use of programs to upsize appeared to increase resolution, which isn't really possible unless some kind of A.I. is at work. Even if it appeared to show an increase in resolution, it would have to be verified by taking a normal shot (closer, with a better lens) that showed the same features the programs appeared to uncover.

Of course it is simulating the results but quite convincingly so with less extreme cropping, especially when printed. As you do not have access to the infamous 100% zoom button

Here is an attempt using the 100mp Fuji

-- hide signature --

Jim Stirling:
It is undesirable to believe a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true” Russell
Feel free to tinker with any photos I post

James Stirling's gear list:James Stirling's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Nikon Z7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow