Sigma MC-11 with aps-c lenses?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Merlin5 Regular Member • Posts: 493
Re: Sigma MC-11 with aps-c lenses?

ZilverHaylide wrote:

Merlin5 wrote:

ZilverHaylide wrote:

Merlin5 wrote:

I just read a comment under a youtube video that said aps-c lenses don't work with this adapter and someone replied "there's a hack where you remove the inner collar (4 screws) and all aps-c lenses fit."

If I wanted to buy a Tamron aps-c lens with Canon EF fit to go onto a Sony E mount, just wondering if I'd have to do that hack or if it's not true and that they are actually compatible?

I will cautiously say that the Tamron APS-C lens will probably fit without the hack. Not sure that it would have all functionality, though. Both functionality and fit are, after all, cross brand. Sigma has no obligation to make sure a competitor's products work well with its adapter.

As far as I am aware, though, the fit issue only involves Canon-brand EF-S APS-C lenses. Canon designed these lenses with a slightly different mount to insure that they could only be mounted on its APS-C cameras. That in turn gave them more optical design freedom, because they could have a rear element that protruded further into the camera body, which was possible because on APS-C DSLRs, the reflex mirror is smaller.

Sigma has a compatibility list on its site for Sigma lenses on the MC-11 adapter. Though I think all Sigma lenses fit, IIRC, not all provide equally-good (or even acceptable) functionality. So if that's the case even with their own lenses, I would say there's no guarranty of functionality with another brand.

Your best bet for Sigma MC-11 adaptability would be a Sigma APS-C lens listed as providing good performance in their compatibility table. No unpleasant surprises then.

ZilverHaylide, thank you very much! Now I'm far better armed with information. Yes, I see now that it's the EF-S aps-c lenses that are affected. So yes, the Tamron10-24mm EF, and also my Canon 50m f1.8 and Tamron 70-300mm EF should both fit.

I've gone back to the youtube comments to check something. This was the conversation two viewers had:

"canon 10-18mm with sigma mc-11 WAY better deal and quality."

"oh sure! if only mc-11 were compatible with aps-c lenses... and the camera could control the aperture, AF and IS. otherwise yes, its a steal of a deal! XDDD"

"it is compatible with aps-c. seriously. its a very tiny hack no problem. google it. just remove the inner collar (4 screws) and all aps-c lenses fit."

I've just looked up the Canon 10-18mm and it is an EF-S lens, so what you're saying is absolutely spot on.

But as you say, functionality could be a big issue perhaps for all my EF adapted lenses. Damn.

I was choosing between a sony 10-18mm lens to go on a sony aps-c camera and the Tamron 10-24mm. I kind of wanted the Tamron because of the extra focal reach. But with the risk of not functioning properly, I think I'll just go with the Sony lens. Or I'll also check out the Sigma lenses. Thank you for clearing it up for me, much appreciated.

For cross-brand compatibility, you could look into the Metabones brand adapter. No personal experience with it, but since they are aiming at cross-brand use, they probably have some compatibility tables somewhere on their site. Quite a bit more expensive than the Sigma MC-11, though. However, if you have multiple non-Sigma lenses you want to adapt, and the savings on the lenses is big enough, and the adapted functionality good enough, then it might be worth buying the Metabones.

Thanks, Yes, the Metabones is quite expensive. I don't think it's worthwhile for me now. Although I'd like to have a wide angle EF fit lens that I could have adapted for a sony aps-c camera but also use natively on my Canon full frame, I was also considering adapting the other two lenses I have (in my sig) that I use with my 5D2. But they probably won't really be of much value to me on the sony. That coupled with not really knowing how well functionality might be, I think I'll forget buying an adapter and just buy the Sony lens. Also, Sigma do a 10-20mm lens but I can't find one with either EF or Sony E fit, only seems to be for Sony A mount and EF-S fit.

Merlin5's gear list:Merlin5's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony a6600 Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN (E/EF-M mounts) +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow