Ninja V Preamp Noise

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Ascanio New Member • Posts: 1
Ninja V Preamp Noise

Dear all,

After committing to the Z6 + Ninja V hype I have to say it has not been a path without hiccups.

I’d like to share my recent audio experience now, hopefully someone can pitch in.

I have recently let go of my Tascam DR-60 MkII recorder, which I have found to deliver super clean audio, because of it’s impractical form factor and painful power options.

Got myself a Rode Wireless Go, with the idea of connecting it directly to the Ninja V for ease of life on a run and gun gimbal rig.

I have tested all combinations of gain settings on the Rode, the Z6 and the Ninja V.

What I have noticed is that the separation between noise floor and vocals is pretty similar on the Z6 and Ninja V, when you max out the gain on the Wireless Go and keep preamps down to 1 on the Z6 or Line-in +6dB on the Ninja V.

The big difference is the colorfullness of the sound: the Z6 renders a very flat tinny voice, while the Ninja V is boomy.

My issue is that the Ninja V has a noticeable self-interference, only on the left channel.

Now, with mono recordings this isn’t a problem, unless I want to use two gain settings on the L and R channels to record a safety track.

The noise is a perfectly constant pattern so it is easy to fix in post, but the result does make the voice somewhat robotic at times.

Has anyone experienced this on the Ninja?

Do you have suggestions regarding the absolute smallest, lightest audio recorder, ideally with an internal LiPo battery, even more ideally with at least one XLR input with decent amp hw?

Thank you!

Ascanio

Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow