20mm prime vs 14-24 f2.8 zooms

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dbltfarmer
Dbltfarmer Contributing Member • Posts: 841
20mm prime vs 14-24 f2.8 zooms

I was shooting landscapes with my new Sigma 20mm F1.4 prime this weekend.  I was shooting a variety of landscapes, close ups of sculptures etc.   I was also using my 24-70 for the task also.   I am really liking the output of my 20mm prime over the 24-70 f2.8.

Problem is that with this West Texas Dust I am getting a great deal of spots on the pictures from dust or lint on the curved outside lens element.  I am careful to put the lens cover on between uses but still find myself cleaning that lens much more than the 24-70.  I also miss the versatility of the zoom.

Questions

1.   how is the lens distortion on the 14-24 lenses(Nikon and Sigma) vs the Sigma 20mm Art?

2.   Will any of the zooms take screw on filters or any filters for that matter?

3.  Lightroom does a great job of repairing some distortion with the Sigma 20 mm art but how does it work on the zooms?

4.  Are the corners as good on the zooms as the 20mm prime?

5.  Are both the Nikon and Sigma 14-24mm zooms have rounded outside lens elements like the 20mm?

Dbltfarmer's gear list:Dbltfarmer's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +12 more
Sigma 20mm F1.4 DG HSM Art
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow