What makes the shutter sound in mirrorless cameras? (answered)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
skyrunr
skyrunr Contributing Member • Posts: 763
What makes the shutter sound in mirrorless cameras? (answered)

After a few weeks using a D500, Z50, Z7, and Z5, I've concluded that I take better photos with mirrorless cameras.
However, I can't stand the shutter sound and slow feel of Z cameras! It reminds me of the difference between the "squishy" D7100 and D500. Essentially the difference between a consumer and "professional" Nikon camera. The Z50 even has a crisper shutter sound than the Z5.  I realize I can use silent mode with some limitations, but I also enjoy the sound of the shutter as part of taking photos.  I know that the sensor is directly exposed when I change my lenses which I'm not crazy about. Which leads me to the question:  What is actually making the shutter noise in a mirrorless camera?!

Answer:  "Since a mirrorless camera doesn’t have a mirror, the sensor is fully exposed behind the lens. But when you press the shutter button, a shutter door goes up to block the sensor, and then goes down to make the exposure. Once the exposure is done, another door goes down from the top of the frame."

source:  https://expertphotography.com/camera-shutter

Would anyone else prefer a better sounding shutter?

-- hide signature --

SkyRunR
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
'Out of the darkness there must come out the light.' Bob Marley

skyrunr's gear list:skyrunr's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon Z50 Nikon Z5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +10 more
Nikon D500 Nikon D7100 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow