m43 crop factor, my final analysis!

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
And-roid
And-roid Regular Member • Posts: 365
m43 crop factor, my final analysis!

So, after analysing everything, this is what I found, enjoy!

The figure of 2x for m43 is ridiculous, it's ostensibly meaningless, why?

Comparing a 4:3 shape with a 3:2 shape is naïve, it needs to be at least the same shape, ie 3:2 to 3:2 or 4:3 to 4:3, so this is what I did, simple

Now it all makes sense, using the sample provided by the post Ken, it corresponds perfectly as shown below;

Indeed the sample was wider on FF, and it is exactly as specified above and shown

Indeed m43 sample was higher, and also it is exactly as specified above and shown

So, simply in conclusion.

m43 is 2.07x focal length in Horizontal or 24.8mm lens c.w FF for 12(24) in 3:2 or 4:3

m43 is 1.84x focal length in Vertical or 22mm lens c.w FF for 12(24) in 4:3 and 24.8mm in 3:2

If you switch FF to 4:3 it's just a straight 1.84x for m43 and 1.125x on FF, if you prefer 4:3, especially in portrait format then that makes things a lot closer to FF than many would give m43 credit for, how interesting is that!

eg an f4c FF in 4:3 is really 4.5c as you need to multiply 1.125x and a 2.8 on m43 is f5c as you need to multiply 1.84x.

See, that was easy.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Yxa
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow