Uncropped Images of Hummingbirds Feeding from Flowers in a Garden – E-M1.3 + MC20 + 300mm f4

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
drj3 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,524
Uncropped Images of Hummingbirds Feeding from Flowers in a Garden – E-M1.3 + MC20 + 300mm f4

I would normally spend much of my free time in the summer at the local wildlife refuge photographing flying swallows and other birds. Unfortunately there were far fewer birds and far more people at the refuge this summer, so I mostly stayed home and photographed birds, deer, Gray fox, and Black bear in my lawn. Now I have several thousand images of hummingbirds flying about the garden which still require PP. I decided to post a few that I had PP on DPR.

For those not familiar with the Ruby-throated hummingbird, it is 3 to 3.5 inches long with a body width of about .75 inches.

All images hand held and uncropped. The EVF, single focus point, ISO 800 and stabilization used for all images.

Image # 1: The bird is feeding from a 2.5 inch dahlia blossom (Bishop of Llandaff) with side lighting by the afternoon sun

Image 1 - DOF - .35 inches

Image # 2: Similar to the first image, but it was underexposed by 1.3 stops to keep the shutter speed at 1/800 to maximize body feather detail. At slower shutter speeds, the head will tend to be sharp, but there will be more blurring of detail on the body.

Image 2:  DOF - .28 inches

Image # 3 & 4: Male hummingbird feeding from a Salvia (Black & Blue) blossom. Image #3 is in relatively good light; image #4 is an example of bad light with leaves obscuring parts of the bird. The male was frightened by the mechanical shutter, so I used the electronic shutter which resulted in more wing motion artifacts and blurring of the neck/chest feathers.

Image 3:  DOF - .24 inches

Image 4:  DOF - .28 inches

Image 5: Hummingbird feeding from Monarda (Bee Balm), one of hummingbirds favorite flowers. DOF - .31 inches

Image 6:  Hummingbird feeding from Lobelia (Cardinal Flower) in good light.  DOF - .47 inches.

Image 7:  Close up feeding from Salvia.  DOF - .24 inches.

Image 8 :  More extreme close up feeding from dahlia.  DOF - .12 inches

Image 9:  Feeding from dahlia.  DOF  - .35 inches.

Image 10:  Feeding from the interior of salvia.  DOF - .39 inches.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II +9 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow