Scanner for old photos and slides?

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
pixseal
pixseal Veteran Member • Posts: 3,849
+1 for the Epson V600

I recently completed a large "COVID" scanning project - I started with my own negative collection. I decided early on not to bother with my flower, landscape and artsy pictures. I concentrated on images that my relatives and descendants might be interested in - mostly people pictures and pictures that might be have "historic" value. I then jumped into my Mom and Dad’s pictures - I excluded all travel snaps that did not include Mom, Dad or other relatives.

I scanned negatives and slides at 600dpi and prints (when I did not have the negatives) at 300 dpi. The software that is included with the V600 does an excellent job of reversing negatives and can sometimes fix old images with “color restoration”.  I did not bother with ICE, as I rarely saw any improvement and I didn't want to wait 2 minutes per frame. Note that my dpi values worked well on "snapshot" quality negatives and prints - YMMV.

Scanned negative from 1954

-- hide signature --
 pixseal's gear list:pixseal's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +18 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow