Birds A6400+200-600 and focus issues

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 33,262
danny,

Lovely series - I especially like the nice, low angle you can get to the birds on the water - and the lovely light on those.  Great selection of birds you have - and some lovely raptor closeups.

I haven't really experienced issues focusing on birds on branches with any of my lenses (on my A6600)...I believe the focus points are not cross-type points, though I just haven't found in any real-life situation where it has affected me, I guess because I've never really tried to focus on a very thin, perfectly horizontal branch with nothing on it - as long as there's a bird, bug, or something on the branch, there's bound to be some opposing lines and contrast that the focus system seems to find perfectly well.  Again - note I shoot almost all my non-flying birds and bugs and such in AF-S mode, with flex-spot focus point, so I'm not relying on the whole focus area trying to pick up that small object - I'm pointing my focus point right on my subject.  I've always shot this way by habit, and years of just being used to shooting that way, so I don't bother with all the eye-AF and detection type systems for that.  I use the tracking in BIF shooting, but for still animals I stick to what's worked for me for decades and I'm so familiar with shooting that way.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony a6600 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +24 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow