Scanner for old photos and slides?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
OP Fishrman Senior Member • Posts: 1,448
Re: I think I have decided on the V600 but?

Chris 222 wrote:

Patco wrote:

Fishrman wrote:

I think I have decided to try the v600 but think the Silverthread software looks like something I would benefit from too. I found this site that makes it appear you can get it for free. Does anyone know whether or not this is legitimate? https://www.silverfast.com/show/bundle-epson/en.html

I have no experience with it, but the offer appears to be legitimate.
Bear in mind, however, that the offered "SE" version of Silverfast is their entry level software, "specifically designed for beginners", which may or may not meet your needs.
Personally, when I used an Epson scanner, I found the included software sufficient.
No harm trying it, though.

https://www.silverfast.com/show/silverfast-se/en.html

"SilverFast SE Scanner Software

SilverFast SE scanner software is specifically designed for beginners. The images benefit from the intelligent automatic functions that make the scan and imaging process so much easier."

Years ago I had that version of Silverfast which came with a scanner. It was so basic that I bought the "upgrade/update" for a steep price. Shortly after a friend recommended I try VueScan. I tested the Pro version and quickly bought it. Ever since that time the author has made major improvements (it's as powerful as anything if you take the time to use it), updated compatibility with just about all scanners (SF is tied to ONE machine) AND honored his word that it would truly be a LIFETIME purchase. Of the countless softwares I bought over the years that promised free lifetime upgrades, he is the only one to have done that.

If I had kept up with Silverfast's "upgrades" I could have bought a high-end scanner by now for the same money. Instead I have some superb software that works with all the scanners I've owned since.

I spent under 100 bucks for VueScan Pro. Like I said earlier, best software purchase I ever made.

Based on what I spend sending some films to a lab (APS which can't be scanned without highly specialized equipment) I realize that VueScan also saved me many thousands given how many slides, prints and films I scanned with it.

Hope this helps.

Sounds like VueScan is a great product. Thanks! Something more for me to consider. I have Photoshop Elements 2018 but not sure that is anything like the software with are referring to here.

Fishrman's gear list:Fishrman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic FZ2500 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow