A really, really basic monitor question!

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
StevieF Contributing Member • Posts: 946
A really, really basic monitor question!

Printing newby here, and thanks to those who helped me recently with an inherited Epson 2880 which had printing ‘issues’ - pinkish cast, which I’ve now sorted.

The really basic question refers to monitor profiles which I can’t quite get my head around. I have an iMac (which I know isn’t as good as dedicated etc, but it’s all I have!) which has been profiled with an X-Rite Pro and that’s the profile in use - fine.

When ‘only show profiles for this monitor’ is checked, only that profile and ‘iMac’ (which I assume is some kind of generic?) show.

However, unchecking the above then of course shows a whole bunch of other profiles to choose from!

When should these be used, if at all? And would they work anyway, as they were not shown initially?

Should I be using, & changing, profiles that somehow mirror what the final output is (paper etc) - especially if at some stage I get a ‘proper’ monitor?

And if the answer is ‘yes’ then my final question is ‘what was the point of an X-Rite calibration if the profile is to be changed according the planned final output’!? Where does that one come in?

Questions, questions...

Confused of UK

-- hide signature --

You may think that - I couldn't possibly comment.

StevieF's gear list:StevieF's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR +8 more
ANSWER:
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow