EOS 90D: Consecutive manual metering with manual focus

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Re-Offender New Member • Posts: 1
EOS 90D: Consecutive manual metering with manual focus

Hello board

I bought an EOS 90D last week as a replacement for my EOS 60Da which I've been using for many years. I was expecting the 90D to offer all the features of my trustworthy 60Da but I've come across a problem which makes the 90D almost unusable in most of the shooting situations I've tried to far. I hope that I missed something and that someone can point me to a setting that works similarly like the 60Da.

When I use the 60Da (and I'm assuming it's the same for a 60D) with manual focus and Live View, I see a small rectangle on the display that I can manually shift to which area should be metered. I also own a Nikon D5300 that works the same way.

I'm mainly shooting photos for time lapses which means automatically taking a photo every 10 seconds or so for an extended period of time. My time lapses usually start with daylight, continue into the night and end when the sun has risen again. I found Av mode (with automatic ISO) to be the best setting and I've been able to create some really nice time lapses from the shot images.
The essential thing with such time lapse photos is that concurrent shots must look similarly and therefore must use similar settings - just because a car drives by or because the bright moon/sun rises, the shutter speed mustn't instantaneously change from 4 sec to 1/20 sec.
I can achieve this perfectly with the 60Da by manually selecting an area on the screen which should be used for metering - in my case it would be a specific part of the sky.

With the 90D, I can't seem to choose a metering area other than the center when I'm in MF mode. I know about AE and FE lock but from what I've seen, those are only in effect for a short time and not what I need - I would require metering to take place before every shot of the interval, but not in the center of the scene but in an area of my choosing.
Shooting with AF is no option because it would fail at night (MF is a must when shooting a starry sky).

I sincerely hope that I've missed a setting and would be very grateful if someone could help me out here.

It would be really frustrating if I had to stick with my (aging) 60Da and sell my 90D again

If it is indeed not possible, I'd like to make this a feature request (if I happen to find a way of contacting Canon).
For my use case, I also wish that I could set a maximum shutter time (e.g. 10 seconds) but that's a different problem and one that I can actually fix with workarounds.

Thank you 🙂,
Roland

Canon EOS 60Da Nikon D5300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow