Do we really need a new GoPro?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
paulcurtis87
paulcurtis87 New Member • Posts: 13
Do we really need a new GoPro?

This may not be the popular opinion, but I think that the GoPro peaked at the 8, and there isn't any significant difference in the GoPro 9 to really make the switch. Sure, numerous features have been updated, but are they really needed, and does it justify the upgrade if you already own the GoPro 8 or the DJI Osmo Action?I think that the only ""good addition"" to the GoPro 9 is the front screen, something that DJI has innovated with the Osmo Action. Still, I found out to be lackluster and a bit forced, with a laggy screen and poor quality construction. It's not even a touchscreen, something that the OA was already able to do over a year ago.I also find the focus on 5K to be a bit too much, and I guess GoPro fanboys are salivating at the fact that they can record 5K videos. However, it should be taken note that 5K is only available at 30fps. If they could have bumped that up to 60fps, then I would be impressed. As it is, I was not. Also, can you honestly see the difference between 4K and 5K videos. Really? unless you have the screens and processing power capable of handling 5k vids, this is pretty much a worthless feature.Another gripe is the size. As their tagline is more everything, my only thought is that the most significant change is the More Size (and More Price), but more (hehe) on that later. More size means more weight, which can be an inconvenience at the very least, but that also means that most of your accessories and peripherals that worked with previous versions are useless.While some upgrades were okay in my opinion such as the bump from 12MP to 20MP as well as the improved Timewarp and the new Hindsight and Scheduled Capture Features. However, those upgrades do not justify, for me, the price bump. The pricing for the GoPro 9 is also a bit confusing this year. Is it $350? Is it $500? Is it $450? If you want the new Max lens Mod, be prepared to shell out an additional $100.For that price, you'd expect that there's gonna be a vast improvement. However, the GoPro 9 is still using the same GP1 processor from older generations. As such, you can expect the usual problems to pop up such as glitches and overheating issues.Of course, it's just my opinion, but with competitors such as DJI and Insta hot on the heels of the GoPro, it would only be a matter of a time when there would be better and cheaper alternatives available. That, for me, is worth skipping out on the new GoPro 9 for now.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow