Bought a used Epson 3880 - no output at all

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Craftsman70 Regular Member • Posts: 151
Re: Bought a used Epson 3880 - no output at all

Stobe1 wrote:

Hello,

I noticed there were quite a few 3880 experts here, so I thought I would ask for some advice.

I bought a 3880 from a local craft lady. I think I got a good deal, but she did warn me that she hadn't used it for months, and she said "don't waste ink on cleaning cycles, clean the print tubes instead"

I wasn't sure what I was going to see when I plugged it in and tested it, but I sure didn't expect a completely white sheet of paper to come out from the print test.

Ink levels look ok, and she had 7 new carts for the inks that were less than half full (one of the reasons I was willing to roll the dice in the first place)

I tried the cleaning cycle/print head test built into the Epson windows software, and there was some output at least on the page (some black, grey, light grey and blue checkerboard patterns). But the printer started flashing a print error on the main screen.

Any advice on what my next steps should be? I found the videos about cleaning the head and wiper area with Piezoflush. Is that worth a try, or do you think the whole print assemble should be replaced before I go too far and replace any ink carts.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I was in a similar situation with my newly acquired used 3880 for $80 CDN with a set of refillable carts - just picked it up on Tuesday!  After a nozzle check (on auto the first one) or two, I noticed that the checkerboard patterns on some of the colours weren't complete as well.

After watching a few Youtube videos (many of them from Jose), I cleaned the heads, wiper, and the cap with Windex and low and behold, the nozzle check came back perfect!

Craftsman70's gear list:Craftsman70's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7200 Nikon D780 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow