New DELL - FAILING to wake up after sleep (= C drive ERRORS) !?!

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
KJC Regular Member • Posts: 162
New DELL - FAILING to wake up after sleep (= C drive ERRORS) !?!

Bought a reburb DELL PC (a MISTAKE???) from the Refurb/Business Dell store last month. It is a Precision--a pretty nicely outfitted machine: Windows 10 Pro, 256 GB SSD, 2TB HDD, Xeon Quad Core, 32 GB of RAM; 450 W power supply. Originally about 2000$, but we got it for about half that. Seeeeeeeemingly a good deal.

As with any new PC, I have spent the last two weeks installing software, drivers, and transferring files--a lot of work!!

Now that everything is where I want it, the machine is having major problems waking up from sleep. It seems that when it goes to sleep I can wake it up after 15 or so minutes by just pressing a key on the keyboard or moving the mouse. This is how it should work normally, I believe. AFter 15 or so minutes, it does not respond, and I have to press the power button. Then it wakes up--or so it seems. It does not seem to be a hard re-boot (the road to hell of course), and I get back to my desktop with all my programs still open.

Then last night, it went to sleep:

1.) Press buttons on keyboard/move mouse = nothing

2.) Press power button on tower lightly = nothing

3.) Press power button on tower lightly again = nothing

4.) Press power button on tower for longer = nothing

5.) Press ctrl-alt-del (LOL, has that EVER EVER EVER worked!?!?!?!?)

6.) Hold down power button for a good 5 seconds = looks as if it's restarting! It says "DELL" on my monitor! BUT THEN, it powers itself down again.

7.) Hold down power button for even longer = "DELL" followed by a black screen for a few minutes--then it came back up, apparently normally, with my programs still opened and my browser tabs still where they were (OF COURSE the highly useful NUMBER LOCK was turned OFF)

I then turned the machine off after a few minutes because I was tired (also endlessly hassling with my worthless CHARTER/SPECTRUM internet connection that is always FAILING).

Now, I turned the PC on again, and it went through its routine of fixing errors on the C drive. And in my notifications, it is bugging me for another re-start to fix more errors on the C drive.

WOW I have never had so many vexing problems so quickly with a new PC. I am trying to work from home, and between my new PC failing, my Charter/Spectrum failing (Connection dead again as I type this--hoping it will come back on later!!), things really suck now.

I have a 3 year warranty on the Dell, and I paid extra (like a sucker) for next-day in house service. We'll see how this vexing problem turns out!

Any thoughts or advice on this? Thanks!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KJC
MOD Austinian
KJC
MOD Austinian
KJC
KJC
KJC
MOD Austinian
KJC
KJC
KJC
KJC
KJC
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow