Nikon Ultrawide Zooms

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Ellis Vener
Ellis Vener Forum Pro • Posts: 13,917
Re: Nikon Ultrawide Zooms

PhotoKaz wrote:

paulski66 wrote:

PhotoKaz wrote:

Yes, that was a key selling point of this new mount. However, is that solely responsible for the improvements or do we have new tech like fluorine or areno coatings, new capability in lens element design or manufacture, new optical formulas?

The fact that you're asking the question, and framing it in this way, shows that you already know the answer. Of course technological advances have made possible the design of better-performing lenses. This has been the case throughout the history of photography, and continues to be the case today.

No, I don't know the answer, and I'm not sure anyone outside of Nikon can really answer it. Are the optical improvements in the new lenses mount related, tech related, or both?

It’s both, the new mount and shorter flange distance created a need for new lens designs. That takes into account coatings and mechanics as well as the optical path.

There is likely some hand off of vignette correction from optics to the camera’s Expeed processor (as there is in all mirrorless cameras) as with a mirrorless camera there is no need to make the image appear evenly illuminated through an optical viewfinder system. That allows the optical and mechanical designers to focus on those aberrations that cannot (easily) be computationally corrected.

I am basing that last comment on what was said by Sigma’s President at the introduction of the new 85mm f/1.4 DG DN Art lens back in August. https://youtu.be/nSiRhlH8Twc  Skip to 15:00 to start the full presentation or skip to 20:00 to skip the introductory film.

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener
To see my work, please visit http://www.ellisvener.com
Or on Instagram @EllisVenerStudio

Ellis Vener's gear list:Ellis Vener's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow