Top Tier m4/3 vs Entry Level FF

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
CharlesB58 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,495
Top Tier m4/3 vs Entry Level FF

My thinking is that if I were to decide to trade my EM1.2 for something like the Panasonic S5 or the intriguing Sony A7C, the most obvious reason would be lower noise, higher resolution and under certain conditions wider dynamic range/smoother tonal curve. Personally, I would be factoring all the features capabilities beyond IQ that I would be giving up. Right now, certain of those features are of more value to me than the IQ advantages of FF, but I know that is not the case for everyone.

My "devil's advocate" query is why buy a top of the line m4/3 camera when the goal of best IQ ends up being the reason to switch to FF? I mean, I know why my own gameplan is to stick with m4/3 and EM1 series, and add a FF kit, but I would like to know what led people who are seeking the best IQ to choose m4/3 over FF to begin with.

Was it what was available at the time you invested in m4/3?

Or did your concerns regarding IQ change or grow as you became more experienced with photography?

Within those considerations, why did you choose a higher tier m4/3 camera even if there was no substantial difference in IQ compared to lower tier cameras.

Please do NOT turn this into a m4/3 vs FF argument. I want to hear people offer their personal reasons for their buying decisions past, present or future. Maybe discussing this reasonably will help some people who are still wrestling with such decisions?

-- hide signature --

Photography is not about the thing photographed. It is about how that thing looks photographed. Quote by Garry Winogrand
http://ikkensimages.com

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow