Need help choosing between Sony A6600 and A7III

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SNBLR New Member • Posts: 5
Need help choosing between Sony A6600 and A7III

Quick background - I have been a serious amateur photographer for some time. I started with a Canon 40D + Canon 100-400 Gen 1 for quite a few years as the only pics I would take would be wildlife and birding. With 2 kids, opportunities to go to the forests dwindled and I sold off my gear. Later I shifted to the Nikon Camp with a Nikon D7200 + Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 + Nikon 70-200 f/4. This served my requirement for a few years. However, I started to trek last year, and I realized the importance of lighter gear. On some of the tough days (typically a summit climb) I would end up leaving my gear back, as it would be really tough, and that really really hurt. What's the point of carrying gear, if you cannot use it to capture the most exquisite scenes. A while back I sold of my gear, looking to switch to mirrorless and now am at the crossroads, on what next.

With this background, will call out my requirements

1. Not too heavy. Enough background provided.

2. Not too pricey. This is a hobby and I do not make money from photography.

3. Primarily for landscape and nature photography, with occasional family events/portraits. Also travel photography.

4. Will start only with wide-angle lens for landscapes. Will add max 1-2 more lens in the future - typically a 70-200 equivalent focal length, plus perhaps (not in the near future) the Sony 200-600 for occasional wildlife.

Given this, I was looking at the following two options

Sony A6600 with Sigma 16mm f/1.4 Lens

Weight: 910gm (503gm + 405gm)

Price: ₹133500 (₹99000 + ₹34500)

Sony A7III (preowned but with 1.5 years warranty) with Tamron 24mm f/2.8 Lens

Weight: 865gm (650gm + 215gm)

Price: ₹140000 (₹110000 + ₹30000)

Since the price gap and weight is not too different, I am confused. I certainly do not have the budget of buying expensive (and heavy) Sony G or G Master lens, nor do I see myself doing this in the near future.  Any recommendations from the experienced members here. I am a newbie to the mirrorless world.

Canon EOS 40D Nikon D7200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow