Hobbies during lockdown

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Chris 345 Forum Member • Posts: 83
Hobbies during lockdown

Restrictions due to coronavirus have limited our travel and therefore photography this summer and so our interest has turned to other hobbies. We have continued with photomicrography, however, using subjects from our garden pond and horse chestnut leaf miners from a local park. One of the problems with our microscope when using it in dark field mode was that scratches on the condenser could make the lighting somewhat uneven. To tackle this problem, I made up a dark field condenser by matching the lens in a condenser from a similar microscope – a bit of a long story.

My wife’s experience with woodturning was limited to making wooden pens on a small lathe. By making some modifications to this lathe, we increased the range of turning for which it can be used.

I decided to try making moulds with two part silicone rubber for the first time. We made some moulds for casting wood/resin pen blanks and I cast my fingers using skin safe silicone. Then I cast some epoxy resin copies of my fingers and made a couple of pen holders, one of which is illuminated by LEDs.

Horse chestnut leaf miner

Midge larva?

Homemade dark field condenser

Box made from elm and cocobolo

Goblet made from red mallee burl and blue epoxy resin

Pen holder

Illuminated pen holder

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow