Scanner for old photos and slides?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
OP Fishrman Senior Member • Posts: 1,448
Re: Scanner for old photos and slides?

locksley wrote:

I've used my Epson V600 to do about 15,000 slides, 3,000 prints and about 500 negatives. The Epson software does the job OK, but (like all software) has a few quirks.

In general, I can do about 60 slides per hour at the resolution I am scanning at. High resolutions slow things down quite a bit. Dust removal, color restoration also slow things down. The color restoration does a better job on some slides than others, don't know why. The slide format sometimes confuses the scanner, so I'll just do a manual crop.

I looked at sending the slides, prints, and negatives to a service, but the money I saved (and it was a lot) was used on other things. If you spend an hour a day scanning, you can do 1,800 a month. I found that once you start scanning, it's kind of addictive, so I usually did 2 or 3 hours at a time.

If I were starting over, I'd probably go with the V850 so I could scan more slides at a time, but I'm OK with the V600.

Good luck with your project!

Thanks! Allot of money difference between the two and not sure it is worth that to me. How many slides does the 600 do in comparison to the 850? Are you satisfied with your images?

Fishrman's gear list:Fishrman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic FZ2500 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow