Fuji 55-200/3.5-4.8 vs 50-140/2.8 for snowsports?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
teapeaage New Member • Posts: 1
Fuji 55-200/3.5-4.8 vs 50-140/2.8 for snowsports?

Hi!

Coming back to photography and decided on getting the Fuji X-T4 camera.

I shoot mainly freeride skiers, so fast objects, usually in quite a lot of light present (worst case scenario is overcast day, among trees but with a tonne of snow all over the place).

Back in the day, the 70-200/4 lens would be my go-to camera on a canon system for this type of skiing, but *very, very rarely*, I'd want more reach when trying to pick skiers off of opposite faces of a valley. Due to budgets, I had no way of doing that, but I'd love the opportunity.

Also, one important aspect is the weight of the total system -- this is one of the reasons I decided to go with Fuji (for Sony, the 100-400 is way too heavy and 2x teleconverters don't work with the 70-200/4 lens so I'd have to go the 70-200/2.8 direction which is crazy big and heavy for taking it with me).

For the kind of photos I'd be doing, I am currently looking at the following lenses:

- Fuji XF 55-200/3.5-4.8
- Fuji XF 55-140/2.8 (+ a 2x teleconverter in the future for extra reach if need be).

There's obviously a difference in both price (I can live with it) and weight (same) between them, but my question is: is the sharpness/ light/ Autofocus speed in the 55-140 better enough to warrant paying more *and* having to carry more? Or would the 55-200 be absolutely enough here?

Any help would be appreciated!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow