What is happening with the Panny G95?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Bernard Regular Member • Posts: 364
What is happening with the Panny G95?

So, I am contemplating getting a G95 for my birthday.  Ironically, as I grow older, I want to get a larger, more ergonomic camera with a bigger viewfinder than I now have in my GX85.  Of course I also want the updated sensor (especially for jpegs) and the weather-resistance, though I fear a FAS will drive me nuts.  I do not like the off-axis experience that the FAS provides.  However, as my eye-sight is not as good as it used to be and I have some arthritis in my wrist, I find the GX85 actually harder to hold, more fiddly to operate, and the viewfinder more unpleasant to look through (and I use it more than the screen).

Therefore I wanted to see if the G95 is finally dropping below the $1000 mark.  It does not seem to be budging.  Instead I found hardly any for sale (new or old) on Ebay, the camera temporarily backordered on Adorama now for quite some time, none at my present camera superstore (Precision Camera) or at my past superstore (FOCUS in Brooklyn), and missing from several other large camera retailers.

What is happening?!?  Yes, I can still get it at B&H and several other places, but why is this particular camera becoming scarcer nearly every day?  I have not seen this with any of the other newer camera models.  It concerns me somewhat.                                               Any thoughts?

Just a P.S.:  Please, please do not get into another discussion on how I should really buy the G9 instead.  For me personally it is too large and too heavy.  Besides, I have very small hands for a guy, and that grip is actually uncomfortably large for me.  I am also just a general enthusiast who started many years ago with a new OM-2n- because it was so small and light and easy to operate.

Thank you for your insights!.  I am also wondering what people think about my reasons for getting a larger camera as I am growing older.  Intuitively one would generally expect to get a smaller, not larger camera as one ages.

Regards- and stay safe,

Bernard

Bernard's gear list:Bernard's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +3 more
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow