Possibility that names affect camera sales

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Andy873 Regular Member • Posts: 325
Possibility that names affect camera sales

Specifically the name of sensor formats, "full-frame" or "APS-C" etc...

Obviously the size of 35mm film is kind of arbitrary and the result of a bunch of historical accidents. If we can reset time and go through the last 100 years again we might have settled for different film sizes. And since digital "full frame" simply carried the tradition over, there is NOTHING particularly special about 24x36mm, so there's no real reason cameras need to have sensors of that specific size.

There are of course some practical considerations, like for example "full frame" size sensor with 24-70 f/2.8 zoom cameras are somewhat economical to produce. While an optically equivalent camera with aps-c sized sensor and 16-50mm f/2 zoom is not as economical to produce because of the crazy glass. However if you don't need that fast zoom, maybe ff+24-70 f/5.6 isn't as economical as an aps-c+16-50 f/4. So really the ideal sensor size changes depending on your desired light gathering power.

However I suspect a lot of consumers aren't buying for the most optimal size/cost for a certain "light gathering capacity", for obvious reasons of ignorance (not in a bad way). But also just because of what the formats are called.

If this one is called "FULL FRAME", doesn't it imply that this is the standard or even the best to get, and anything less is by definition missing, inferior, or a compromise? I mean even "medium format", if you ask some random lay person, I bet more would say that "full frame" is bigger and better than "medium format".

There's also "micro four thirds", I mean whoever came up with the idea of adding "micro" to it, really should be fired because that probably had a significant impact on sales. Most people probably don't want a camera that is "micro" in any way. Even the original name "four thirds" is kinda bad because while 4/3 is bigger than 1, using a fraction just makes it sounds less than 1, and thus less than normal. You can say all you want about "advantages of small sensor" or whatever, most people will instinctively not desire the small sensor, for obvious reasons I will say no more about.

What's more interesting is that anecdotally, I think there are far less crop or m43 cameras in China, almost everyone buys a full frame DSLR, and I suspect it is again because of names. Other than the formal APS-C, there's a nick name in Chinese for crop frame, it translates to "handicapped frame" or "damaged frame" It's a mostly negative word, strongly inferring that APS-C is worse, incomplete, less than full frame, and so even less people want to buy these cameras.

I really think if we can rewind history and name the sensor formats differently, we might end up with a very different landscape in the digital camera industry. If we simply named these things like say, 1" 2" 2.5" etc... the same as TV sizes, maybe then APS-C will have a lot more success than it does now.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
YWG
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow