Meike MD-D18 died?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
bflood Senior Member • Posts: 2,100
Re: Meike MD-D18 died?

A quick idea (that may be an oversimplification):

I have a non-Nikon battery grip on my D610 (a Promaster) and D7000 (a Meike), but I never put a battery in either one. I use the grips to allow me an easier grip with my old arthritic hands.

But with no battery in the grip, the controls on the grip work - the shutter release and the paddle for moving the focus point are functional. Do these work with your Meike grip? Or are these functions dead, too?

If the shutter release on the grip also doesn't work, then I'd look for something that has interrupted the electrical connection between the grip and the camera. Cleaning the contacts, as already recommended, is the best first step.

If that doesn't help, you are faced with two sources of the lost contact - the grip or the camera. Do you have a friend/colleague who has a D850 with a grip and who would let you mount that grip on your D850? That would give you a definitive answer as to whether the problem resides in the grip or the camera.

If you can rule out the camera as the source of the trouble, I'd consider taking the grip apart. I had to open up the bottom side of my Meike grip as it wouldn't detach from the D7000 body at times. I found that a screw inside the bottom plate hadn't been fully tightened by the manufacturer and was distorting the shape of the bottom plate slightly and causing the demounting problem. Tightened the screw, put it back together, and the grip has served faithfully for several years since.

I don't see a down side to opening up the grip - if you leave as-is, you'll be replacing it. If you open it and cannot find the problem, you'll be replacing it. If you open it and damage it while trying to find or fix the problem, you'll still be replacing it.

Wishing you good luck!

bflood's gear list:bflood's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow