E-M1.3 w/ 100-400mm

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
nickels25 Regular Member • Posts: 279
E-M1.3 w/ 100-400mm

Hello all,

My last question didn’t gain much traction, so I thought I post/ask about it again...but differently.

I have an Olympus E-M1.3. I recently bought the 100-400mm. (Pretty sweet lens with amazing reach). Upon taking the first shots, I noticed the lens has a slight “wiggle” when mounted on the camera body. This “wiggle” occurs where the lens mount meets with the camera mount. The “wiggle” is maybe less than 1 mm or so, but noticeable. I also have the MC-20 and connected that to the camera/lens. The MC-20 fits tightly to the body, but the 100-400 does the same “wiggle” connected to the MC-20.

I contacted Olympus Support this morning. The helpful person I spoke with stated that due to the construction of the 100-400 lens it will have a slight “wiggle” as I described and this could be felt when I turned the zoom or focus rings. They stated that this “wiggle” has no effect on the lens’ functionality or poses any threat to the lens/camera connection being damaged. They stated the lens was simply designed with a slightly larger hole. They further stated this “wiggle” will not effect the weather-sealing of the camera/lens combo, and basically,  everything should work as expected.

I did tell them about reports of people reporting tight lens/body connections with this lens and experiencing no “wiggle.” They stated that most lenses will have the “wiggle” I described, but that it will depend on the camera body being used (as some of the mounts/bodies are plastic). Again, they said everything should be good, even with the “wiggle.”

Has anyone else with this lens/body combo experienced the “wiggle” I described? If so, have you received this same feedback from Olympus? My PRO lenses fit tightly, so it’s a little disconcerting to feel this slight “wiggle.” I’m still within my return period with the lens. If I should return the lens for a tighter fitting one, I want to make sure I still can. However, if it is a common experience that fits Olympus’ description, and there is no issues, I don’t want to spend the money to return the lens for a new one, only to experience the same thing with a new lens.

Thank you for your insight and any advice.

nickels25's gear list:nickels25's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Olympus E-M1 III Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus 25mm F1.2 +3 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow