My initial take on the R5 - 10 reasons why it has kinda ruined the EOS R for me

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sobrien
sobrien Senior Member • Posts: 1,440
My initial take on the R5 - 10 reasons why it has kinda ruined the EOS R for me

Aside from the obvious things like resolution, AF performance, FPS and IBIS, I have found there to be a host of little operational improvements on the R5 that add up to a wonderful user experience.

1. It feels great in the hand. MUCH better than my EOS R. In a way it's subtle but very noticeable. My R feels uncomfortable now.

2. The dial surrounding the mode button is MUCH easier to access and operate than the similar dial on the R, which really was a design fail.

3. The mode button is also a lot easier to locate and press than on the R. No need for me to re-programme that to another button on the R5.

4. Touch and Drag AF works a lot better than on the R. The AF point really zips about responsively. Even at its most sensitive setting, Touch and Drag on the R now seems sluggish and frustrating.

5. The joystick also works very well and is a huge step up from the four way controller for moving focus points.

6. Very happy to see the rear wheel back. So much better than the M-Fn bar which I gave every chance but ultimately got frustrated with. I'm currently using it to change AF Method.

7. Operation generally seems noticeably more responsive. More like my old 5D4 than my R.

8. Having the ability to use the front shutter AF in conjunction with user defined back button AF is wonderful. I really appreciated this on my 5D4, missed it on my R and it is even better now, e.g.

• Having AF-On programmed to always default to face+tracking (initial point set to auto) is wonderful. That, combined with the R5's snappy autofocus, means that I have already gotten photos, in a pinch, that I would have missed with any other camera I have owned.
  • Having * programmed to One Shot, spot AF point (with auto zoomed manual focus override) means that the ultimate precision for static objects is also always at my fingertips.

9. The improved on/off switch is welcome....particularly with more frequent use required to prevent spontaneous combustion/overheating!

10. I love the fact that the EVF sensor does not activate when the rear screen is flipped out. I can now fully rely on auto switching between EVF and rear screen.

I had intended keeping my R as second body/backup but given all these usability benefits I am not sure. Leaning towards selling R and buying a R6 sometime over the next 6 months or so instead. Just need to satisfy myself of R6 colours v the R, particularly given the Adobe camera matching profile saga and the fact that the upgrade will render my VSCO presets unusable (at least unless I can modify them).

-- hide signature --

"The simple things are also the most extraordinary things and only the wise can see them."
https://www.flickr.com/photos/135843555@N03/

sobrien's gear list:sobrien's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon Extender EF 2x III +16 more
Canon EOS R5 Ricoh Caplio R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow