Lens dilemma for the r5

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Staale Junior Member • Posts: 44
Lens dilemma for the r5

My r5 is finally on the way, but I'm getting cold feet regarding the 800mm f11. 6m minimum focusing is going to be a pain.

I see the 100-500 is getting decent reviews but here comes the mental block for it.

In short I'm a camera flousy. I see something shiny and iI want it. But an expensive lens... I want milage out of it

A bit of background. I started out with a Canon 40D and a Sigma 120-300 F2.8. Then I upgraded later to 5D Mark Iii.

When the GH4 came out I jumped ship. But with metabones adapter I could keep using my nice Sigma.. great. I also got a Sony a6300 and a viltrox. Works fine as well.

Back to now... Getting RF lens doesn't seem to fit my flousiness for camera models.. unfortunatly the sigma now only gives me blurry shots, must have dropped it in my sleep

Price wise.. if I can afford the RF 100-500 why not get a second hand Canon 500 F4 II. They seem to be about the same price and the benefit is that I can mount that to any camera.

99% of my pictures are birds and small mammals.. so 2m or further with 500mm as minimum starting point. At least with F4 I can throw on a teleconvertor and still have relatively fast movement.

Any lens suggestions or thought welcomed...

If I had the money I think the Canon 400mm F2.8 III would be my choice.

Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS R5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Sony a6000 Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow