I am about to use the flash for the first time (A9 macro)

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
N4865G
N4865G Contributing Member • Posts: 598
I am about to use the flash for the first time (A9 macro)

Hi,

I have never used flash in my photography so far, as there was no need for it.

Since I am about to start experimenting with macro photography using set of extension rings I purchased LED ring flash which connects to the camera's hotshoe.

I read number of articles addressing basic macro flash settings and will try to apply them to my A9. Please correct me whenever I am wrong here:

1. Manual mode with SS of approximately 250, aperture of f8 (to start with) and manual ISO of 100-200, manual focus.

2. Shutter set to mechanical (I always shoot electronic on it, so this will be new)

This particular flash unit has no TTL option, so it needs to be set manually for that purpose. This is where confusion kicks in - do I adjust the exposure with the flash power or camera exposure settings (ie. ISO/SS)?

I would appreciate any tips on setting this up. Initially I am planning to start with small coins and other miniature object then move on to catching some insects.

Thank you in advance for your time,

Dom

-- hide signature --

www.dombuszek.com

N4865G's gear list:N4865G's gear list
Sony a9 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow