R5 vs a7s III: ProAV High ISO, Sharpness and DR Tests

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
jonpais
jonpais Senior Member • Posts: 2,926
R5 vs a7s III: ProAV High ISO, Sharpness and DR Tests

A pretty comprehensive, unbiased look at high ISO performance, detail and latitude in post between the a7s III and the R5. The 8K of the R5 is brilliant, but as in CVP's tests, it does less well when underexposed, has worse low light performance and inferior 4K 120p when compared to the a7s III. It is also confirmed that S-log3 'second native ISO' in the production model is 12800. It is annoying that noise reduction in the Sony cannot be reduced or disabled, which may be reason enough for preferring to record ProRes RAW via the Ninja V. I've already decided to stick with Sony, since:

1. I've invested pretty heavily in Sony glass.
  2. The R5 + CFExpress cards cost thousands more here in Vietnam than the Sony.
  3. RF glass is dearer and selection is inferior to E Mount glass.
  4. There is no artificial 30 min. recording limit or 'overheat' timer in the Sony.
  5. I'm not prepared to replace my 2019 16" MacBook Pro with a newer computer just to cope with Canon's files.
  6. Storage of all those R5 8K ALL-I 1300 Mbps files would be a PITA. 😂

I'd normally upload screen shots of the test results, but there were just too many in this video!

-- hide signature --

an achievement unparalleled in human history
https://daejeonchronicles.com

Canon EOS R5 Sony a7S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow