Updated - Sigma 100-400 vs Sony 70-300

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JamminHyaku
JamminHyaku Regular Member • Posts: 331
Updated - Sigma 100-400 vs Sony 70-300

I did a quick test indoors yesterday but people didn't seem to like it. Tried again today, just wanted to share results; whether you care or not or like it or not is up to you! All pictures at the same location, same tripod, etc. These images are of a Park sign.

The Sigma is always on the LEFT. All shots at 100 ISO. All of these images are cropped in 2:1 to compare detail.

1. Wide open aperture, both at 300mm, the sign is CENTERED in the frame.

2. Stopped down to F8, both 300mm, still in the center of the frame.

3. Wide open aperture, both 300mm, however now the smoking sign is in the FAR CORNER of the image.

4. Stopped down to F8, both 300mm, again in the Corner of the image.

Conclusion; from my test yesterday, at minimum focus distance the Sony was quite more impressive both in sharpness and its ability to get closer to the subject. From a much further distance however, comparing with other things I have seen online, the Sigma sharpness is definitely better. The Sony sharpness isn't bad, it just seems to get softer easier around high contrast areas, like black letters on white background.

This test is just for myself, I just thought id share the results in case anyone else is interested. I feel better about the sigma now, as in my mind you have to justify that massive size difference. I believe the Sony is still competitive, mostly for its compactness, but the Sigma is sharper and more reach, as well as cheaper new.

JamminHyaku's gear list:JamminHyaku's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Samyang AF 14mm F2.8 FE +7 more
Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow