Back to Swedish Lapland with a brand new camera

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Lasse Eisele
Lasse Eisele Senior Member • Posts: 2,002
Back to Swedish Lapland with a brand new camera

I have to admit that I have been very intrigued by the Nikon Z cameras ever since the system was released two years ago. Excellent image quality, good ergonomics, very sharp lenses that are not too big and heavy. I have been very close to pressing the "buy" button several times and only a few weeks ago I almost did it.

A few days later, after a lot of deliberation, I did press the "buy" button – for an E-M1 III. I have been very happy with my previous Oly cameras and the image quality is good enough for my needs. Good enough for great looking prints of any size at normal viewing distance. And I was very curious about some of the new features, like HHHR. So the Z will have to wait.

I got the new camera only a few days before my annual eight day hike in Swedish Lapland, this time to Sarek NP, my favourite place on Earth. Of course, I didn't have much time to try it out, but it's in most ways very similar to my E-M1 II, so nothing to worry about.

We were five mature guys this time, aging from 66 to 74. I was the only one with a camera, wich meant that I had to work very fast (non-photographers will never understand how much time it takes to get a great looking image). So all shots below are basically handheld snapshots.

I used the 12-40 mostly but also the tiny 9-18. I ended up with a total load of 20 kg, including food for all eight days.

Here are some images from the hike.

The Rapaätno delta. Panorama stitched from 9 vertical shots.

My favourite camping site. I keep coming back there.

White cottongrass (Eriophorum scheuchzeri).

Reindeers. One of them is wearing a necklace with a GPS transmittor.

Very early morning. Bold, but beautiful. This was a HHHR shot. The technical quality is excellent, except for the moon that was moving a tad too fast.

Glow from the first sunrays.

An hour later. The morning magic is gone, but it's still beautiful.

Not a great image, but I want to show what hiking in Sarek is like. And, yes, the water is cold.

I was hoping for fall colours but didn't get much until the last day.

Regards
Lasse

-- hide signature --
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow