In praise of the Oly EP-5 and EM-1 Mk III

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Kodachromelover New Member • Posts: 7
In praise of the Oly EP-5 and EM-1 Mk III

In the film era I was a Nikonist. In the digital era I started in 2002 with a Minolta F200, buying then a Lumix TZ-5, but the image quality was unsatisfactory for me.

I searched for a better camera - I wanted a little one, somewhat like a compact one, without a pentaprism. In 2013 I found the Olympus EP-5. What a gem! Light, unintrusive, fantastic IBIS (I don’t like flash nor tripod), with an image quality better than expected! The sky’s blue was reminiscent of the Tiepolo’s ones. With the Oly 14-42, street photography was a breeze - I got unnoticed taking some shot at belly perspective thanks to the swiveling screen. I was allowed to shot even in museums where professional camera were not allowed. Then, coupled with the Oly 12-100 (I use a ThinkTank 20 bag) I had all I wished - I spend one week in Rome taking many thousand shots in Forum, streets and museums without needing anything more.

I own also an Oly 9-18 lens, very good for photographing in old alleys and for creative photography. But since I hate changing lenses, I bought a new camera - an EM-1 Mk III. The raw photos are much better than those of EP-5, but the JPG are not… they seem somewhat less detailed, lacking microcontrast. But setting 2+ for sharpness an 1+ for “vivid” the images became very satisfactory. I use the EM-1 with the 12-100, and the EP-5 with the wideangle. Having a continuous coverage from 18 to 200 equivalent, the weight in the bag approximate that of my old Nikon FE-2 with only 3 lenses (28, 50 and 105, leaving at home the 500) and a dozen of filters and adapters. The bag I bought for the Nikon was so humongous that I used it only few times.

But, what about selling of the Olympus image department to JJP? Well, this was for me a compelling reason to buy instantly the EM-1 -  I was afraid for a price increase.

Olympus is dead? No, for years to come. Neither it is for me - I wish to use both my cameras for some ten years. I am 72…

Kodachromelover's gear list:Kodachromelover's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow