Picked up mine Olympus 100-400/5.0-6.3 and some initial impressions

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DLBlack Forum Pro • Posts: 14,727
Picked up mine Olympus 100-400/5.0-6.3 and some initial impressions

My local camera store called Tuesday to let me know my pre-ordered Olympus 100-400/5.0-6.3 lens has gotten in. I couldn't pick it up until the next day (Wednesday).. After picking up the lens I went to several places with the E-M-X and the new lens. I also had a 12-100/f4.0, 17/1.2, 45/1.2 and 60/2.8 Macro lens with me. after leaving the camera store I drove to nearby Cave Hill Cemetery, then on to Arthur K Daught Park, where I have usually see an hawk but no luck yesterday, then to Brown Lane Park, where I expected to see duck and did. I got home in time to take the dog to the vet for shots and then I did a photo/dog walk on a trail along a small creek, where I I got to photograph an egret, great blue heron and a sandpiper. All together I walked about 5 miles with the camera kit. I got a few straight out of camera photos that I wifi to my phone then on up to Flickr posted in an album at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/david_l_black/albums/72157716005557893

My initial impression is that I like this lens. In this range I also own the 40-150/2.8 and the 300/4.0 and both the MC14 and the MC20. The 100-400/5.0-6.3 lens seems about the same size and weight as my 300/4.0 lens. At least it fits in the same space in my pack. I do love the flexibility of the zoom. Image quality without pixel peeping seems to be very good. In the camera store testing the lens I was able to handhold the up to 1/13 of a second when taking a photo of the memory card behind the counter. I didn't noticed any camera shake so the stabilization of the lens plus the camera (E-M1X) is good enough. The lens balances great on the E-M1X. The quality built of the lens is very good with no issues. The plain regular lens hood is great. I can see buying another one in the future for my 40-150/2.8. I did compare the lens rotation when mounted on the camera and their might be a little more rotation than the 12-100/4.0 lens but I wouldn't have noticed it if it wasn't mentioned by a few other early buyers. The zoom and focus rings rotate as I would expect with no issues.  The lens was manufactured in Japan.

Over all I think I will like this lens. I will most likely pair it with the 12-100/4.0 lens for the bases of a kit for general walking out in nature. Then add couple of primes that I might need. It is a lot lighter and more compact for this use than the 12-40/2.8, 40-150/2.8 and 300/4.0 plus teleconverters and a few primes that have been using for nature hikes. On these hikes I am always hopeful for seeing wildlife. Still I also love to have a real lightweight/compact kit for family/social outings and this kit is the Pen F the 12-45/4.0 and couple of Premium F1.8 primes. It is so great to have so many great options to make numerous kits for whatever one expects. The 12-100/4.0 and the 100-400/5.0-6.3 along with the E-M1X or E-M1.3 is a great kit if you need the reach.

So after one day I am pleased with the lens.

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II +40 more
Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN-F
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow