Lens protection filter/clear galass.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Snake Charmer
Snake Charmer New Member • Posts: 22
Lens protection filter/clear galass.

Having read so much about the use of filters used for protecting your lenses, I still did not have a definitive reason for or against.  Up until now I have always fitted a UV filter to my lenses including my current Fujifilm system: of which I now have four lenses.

So, here's the rub.  I have just purchased a 100-400 Fujifilm zoom and took some pictures which were nice and sharp. I ordered a Kenko 77mm UV filter and when it arrived put it on the lens.  Suddenly, images are out of focus, or blurred if you like. Fuji tell me that UV protection is already built in to the system and by adding another UV filter will effect image quality..  And so it did big style. I have yet to test compare my other lenses that are fitted with filters but have never been aware of image deterioration and looking forward to my findings. Fuji recommend I buy a protection filter @ £77, a tad more than the Kenko filter at £5.45* ebay.

So why then are clear protect filers with so much more expensive than ccoatedy filters and should we digital photographers be dumping our UV filters altogether.

Surely there must be some scientific law regarding this subject that applies to all digital cameras/lenses.?

-- hide signature --

Give a child a hammer and it thinks the whole world is a nail.

Snake Charmer's gear list:Snake Charmer's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow