Should I return A7iii and get the A7c instead?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
vivaldibow Contributing Member • Posts: 804
Should I return A7iii and get the A7c instead?

First, thanks for reading this post as I've ask too many questions recently on this forum.

Here is my dilemma. I ordered an A7iii, arriving tomorrow. My shooting target for A7iii is mostly moving kids due to its acclaimed eye AF tracking ability. After purchasing A7iii, I learned A7iii doesn't get Sony's latest Real Time Tracking AF, which seems a step up compared to A7iii's eye AF tracking, but is only available to A6400/A9 or above. I was debating between A7iii and A9 but A9's price point is still a little high to me. At this juncture, A7c was announced, which happens to have the RTT. I am reallly tempted to get an FF with <$2000. But A7c has the cons that people already complained about.

1. Less C buttons. I think I can live with the single C button, probably assign to WB.

2. No front dial, probably not big deal. Rear dial for Aperture control.

3. Small grip, probably no problem for me. I can get used to all form factors.

4. EVF low mag. This could be the biggest issue, as it is only 0.59x. I am used to ~0.7x mag in my A7ii. I briefly owned an A68 before, which has 0.57 equivalent. It did feel small but not a deal breaker.

So the question is: how much better is the RTT versus Eye AF tracking only in terms of shooting moving kids. I couldn't seem to find an online demo video of the Eye AF tracking for kids shooting (most of them are about model/portrait). If a lot better, I could probably live with the EVF drawback. But as pointed out by other people, the RTT could be hyped. If it is really not too much difference, I would just keep the A7iii to save the trouble/restocking fee of returning it.

Appreciate any comments/suggestions!

Sony a9 Sony SLT-A68
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow