Does LA-EA5 offer PDAF Autofocus to legacy Minolta and 3rd Party A Mount Lenses?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Simurg79 Forum Member • Posts: 95
Does LA-EA5 offer PDAF Autofocus to legacy Minolta and 3rd Party A Mount Lenses?

On internet, there are some claims that adapter supports AF on 3rd party A mount lenses (Sigma HSM, Tamron USD) as well as legacy Minolta a mount lenses (Beercan, Minolta 28-135 etc). I see these claims here, especially in the comments: https://briansmith.com/sony-la-ea5-a-mount-lens-adapter/ but author does not shed a light on the "performance" of these lenses with the adapter. I don't understand if he is under some NDA or he really needs to "test further" to comment on it.

I personally think these claims are unsubstantiated and technically impossible for these lenses to be supported by new Sony e-mount bodies unless these lenses geometry are introduced to e-mount bodies. The proof for that is that, we would get OSPDAF support for these lenses A-99II in the first place.

On the other hand, I am curious if Sony is offering CDAF to these lenses via this adapter. This could be the reason why Brian Smith needs more data on the performance. It would be good if people can share what they know/experience about the new adapter.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow