Questioning My Gear . . .

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
englishman
englishman Contributing Member • Posts: 980
Questioning My Gear . . .

I have a Sony A7iii with a 55mm 1.8 and a 24-105 f4. I can easily sell the whole kit with my extras for about $3500.

I came from a Canon setup and to be honest, I really miss it.

I love what the Sony can do with continuous shooting, focus, etc. I love the full frame and what it allows me to do in low light.

But I liked my Canon photos/colors more. I can't tell you how many times I've gone in to edit a photo from my Sony and tried and tried and tried to fix the skin tones (just last night for example; finally just changed it to a black and white).

Additionally, I find I'm using my iPhone 11 Pro Max for most of my video work now. That phone along with a stabilizer and decent light can produce pretty incredible results. Of course it's not on par with the Sony (depth of field, focusing, image quality) but the results can still be fairly stunning and my phone is ALWAYS there. I can shoot on the phone. Edit on the phone. Upload from the phone. In 4K at 120mbps. That's convenience.

So here's my thought process. I have kids (10 and 12) and they are my primary photography subjects. I want a camera that:

1. produces good skin tones

2. has fast continuous shooting

3. has good autofocus

4. produces a high quality image

I don't care as much about video anymore because, while the Sony produces vastly better results than the phone, the workflow is 10 times more difficult and I find myself defaulting to the phone more and more.

I figure I can sell my Sony gear and buy something cheaper that just focuses on photographic image quality and that's good for fast action.

I've looked at a variety of different cameras out there and I just don't know what direction to go.

I'm also afraid that I'll sell the Sony and then miss it! But I could sure use a little extra $$ during this time as well.

Any thoughts on some new kit that meets the above requirements? Thanks anyone for any thoughts on this.

-- hide signature --

Got a photography website? I want to see it.

englishman's gear list:englishman's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
Bob
Bob
Bob
Bob
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow