Black Skimmer Chicks

Started 1 month ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Morris0
Morris0 Forum Pro • Posts: 16,329
Black Skimmer Chicks

Yesterday I made my first visit to Nickerson Beach since March. Normally I would have been there regularly watching the various birds arrive, pair up, mate, lay eggs and then have chicks. Due to the pandemic to beach was closed to anyone outside of the county and while I live closer than many in the county I had to visit other places. With the bathing season over they are no longer worried about crowds at this very popular beach so the restriction has been lifted. I waited patiently for this day and I'm glad it has come.

I did not expect to see any chicks yet Hurricane Isaias devastated the nesting area and the black skimmers that are the last to have chicks lost most of them. Many have had a second set this year yet normally they migrate by the end of September. There is no way the chicks will be ready to fly in two weeks and I'm concerned about how this will end.

Comments and suggestions welcome,

Morris

Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C XF 90mm +11 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow