New analysis, same answer: m43 is best!

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Woland65 Regular Member • Posts: 438
New analysis, same answer: m43 is best!

Just went through this again. Reading comparing. Checking ISO performance. Prices. Available lenses. Started out really thinking I would go for a full frame this time (most probably Sony). I really wanted an A7!

But no...

Fast FF lenses are so big and cumbersome, especially telephotos, that I am not willing to carry them. If I buy slow FF lenses they are still much larger than m43 lenses, and they have no advantage over m43.

One problem remained. I sometimes shoot in low light. 35 & 50 mm FF lenses are in fact reasonably sized, and with an FF sensor they easily beat m43 in low light. And shallow DOF.

Buy an FF camera only for this use case and be forever damned with lugging around large lenses? Not an obvious choice.

My solution? Tried a GX9 and it was more improved over my old m43 than I thought. Also realize I don't need more than 5 mpixels, at least when shooting in poor light. -> m43 is good enough!

Can even scrap the speed booster 0.64x + 50/1.4 plans. No need.

Same answer as a couple of years ago, m43 again! Took a lot of reading, but I finally managed to kill my full frame fever.

As you have already guessed I am not a professional, just an enthusiast. And I wish the rest of you all the best with the full frame fever that will surely continue to spread! I should now be immune for at least a year.

Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow